Saturday 2 January 2010

books books books - 2009

Happy New Year! I hope you've had a nice holiday season. Though it's been very quiet on the blogging front, I had a busy December working at the bookshop, a fun christmas hosting for the first time, and turned 25 a few days ago. Almost no knitting or sewing though, the only thing I made was a christmas stocking. Alas, I did not fulfil my new year's resolutions from last year, so this year I've realistically decided not to make any.

This is the end of my year-long diary of books I've read, and it's been tremendous fun. I might do a 2010 diary, though offline as I can't imagine that this is of any interest to anyone else. If this post has anything to offer, it is my recommendation of all the books I've read, and an insight into my personality (you are what you read).

Since the last books... post, during November and December, I've read ~


1. Ramage's Diamond by Dudley Pope
2. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher
3. The Moorland Cottage and The Cage at Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
4. When the Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs
5. BUtterfield 8 by John O'Hara
6. Sharpe's Battle



pitifully few, especially compared to the first 3 months of 2009.

So, the final statistics for 2009:

Total books read: 53
Total books abandoned: 9
Average books read per month: 4.42
Total authors read 25
Top 5 most-read authors:



1. Bernard Cornwell ~ 12 books
2. Lilian Harry ~ 6 books
3. Diana Gabaldon ~ 5 books
4. Alexander Fullerton ~ 3 books
5. Evelyn Waugh ~ 3 books



Percentage of books that feature WW2 as a setting: 28%
Percentage of books that feature a Ship: 28%
Percentage of books belonging to a series: 58%
Percentage of books set in 19th century: 43%
Percentage of books set in 20th century: 45%

Favourite books of 2009 in no particular order



Ethel & Ernest..........................Raymond Briggs
Rendezvous with Rama..........Arthur C Clarke
Westbound Warbound............Alexander Fullerton
Cross Stitch..............................Diana Gabaldon
Stardust....................................Neil Gaiman
Very Ordinary Seaman..........J P W Mallalieu
The Shell Seekers...................Rosamunde Pilcher
A Town Like Alice...................Nevil Shute
Vile Bodies................................Evelyn Waugh
the Sharpe series.................... Bernard Cornwell



Percentage of books read paid for: 38%
Percentage of books read borrowed/given/free: 62%

Book it took it the longest to get through: BUtterfield 8
Book I read the quickest (8 consecutive hours): A Town Like Alice

2 comments:

Lyn said...

I love books but plan to NOT buy any this year and just read the one's bought and not read yet!
Happy New Yaer
love
Lyn
xxx

amy said...

I like reading books that are part of a series too and I get most of my books from the library and try to buy used when I buy books. i love your book updates and wish i was as studious about recording and reading as you!