Saturday 4 October 2008

I name this scarf nerys



The day before I left for Paris I did that mythical thing - I finished one of my projects. The deadline was met, alas I had reckoned without the weather... it was sunny and warm, no place for scarves. Now home in Bath some 150 miles northwards, in the winds and rain of October, I am glad of the warmth of nerys...



The 'design' is a scatty mish-mash of cabling. I changed my mind about the pattern half-way through, influenced by the yellow mittens of Vogue Knitting. I eventually came up with a chart to replicate the cabling (not having bought a copy of the magazine yet) and nearly used up my highlighters in all the drafts...




The original idea had bobbles, but they didn't seem to scale so the other end has mini pom-poms. There is an unexpected detail I like - the shaping of the edges created by the cables and especially the plaits. Four balls of Rowan Big Wool were consumed, and 10mm circular needles (working back and forth) were used. Its deliciously warm, like wearing a blanket. The deep intense dark blue makes me smile inside.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, clever stuff :)
The scarf is lovely- it looks really cosy!

weaverknits said...

It is so, so lovely. If you choose to translate your charts into a pattern I would love to make one for myself!!!

amy said...

in the immemorial custom of the service, or blog-land, i would like to let you know that my 6 random things are posted!

i would also like to say that your ability to chart cables is impressive and if you publish it i too would love to make one. Chicago winters are much too cold for me.