Monday 10 August 2009

a relic of my teenage bedroom

is this large white framed mirror, which I've salvaged from the dispersing of my mother's home, and put up in my bathroom. It keeps taking me by surprise, each time I walk past it...



I'm halfway through knitting a second haven in rowan country heather, because I have quite a bit of it since I frogged poor old branwen. She, like the other designs in the rowan country book I imagine, was lovely to knit and look at, but far far too bulky to wear. But I love the yarn, I love the colours. In something as narrow as haven the orange, pink and blue stripes are much broader and clearer. I've cut one of the three 'repeats' so that my heather haven will be approximately the same width as my cocoon haven. Its a good pattern, the lace is intuitive, and I like the little detail of the slipped stitch at the beginning of each row to create a more finished border.



I've decided to back the scarf in some soft cotton fabric to make it more wearable, as lets face it, rowan country isn't the softest wool. I can't decide between choosing pink or blue in the same tone as the yarn, or whether to go for something contrasting... Has anyone else done this with a non-reversible scarf?

1 comment:

Amelia Mansfield said...

Ooh, that looks gorgeous! Never used Rowan Country as I couldn't find any patterns that I fancied with it but I've been tempted as so much of it's been on sale recently. Might have to follow your example...