Thursday 28 February 2008

leaping around

I've been motivated by the lovely Knitty Gritty to publish a lot more knitting on my knitting blog, if not the awe-inspiring daily FOs, then at least some wip.

The design for ailish with the rose motif is now this.....


Harsh, but true.

I had a middle of the night inspiration for this bag (!) and the plans are now...

The entire bag is going to be made of the Topaz 'Little Big Wool' (I've begun to notice that 90% of my projects are made of Rowan - note to self; must branch out) with a stripey fabric lining and either a really large navy/teal button or these small but absolutely gorgeous vintage buttons I bought from Zivile on Etsy.



I'm going to add at least two more rows to the strap, as in the original pattern, to make the bag deeper, and knit the bag itself. I think the edges of the front flap and inner front may curl in, so I'm thinking of a crochet band the same width as the strap as an 'edging'. The bit I'm most excited about is making a diagonal button hole(s) for the button(s). I guess it won't really show when the button is done up, but I'll know its there. I have some idea of how to do it, but we'll have to see. Anyway the rest of the yarn is on its way, so I have high hopes of having this completed in about a fortnight, being chunky wool and quick to knit. I really need to speed up my knitting rate.

I'm still going steady on Jemima, currently on sleeve one. I need to find buttons for this too, I wish, I wish I could find the Beatrix Potter buttons on the original design, that would be so cool.

I'm also, finally, about to start Weaverknits 'Nouveau Sack Hat' as soon as the instructions arrive in the post, I think for this I'm going to visit Get Knitted in person to choose some very soft yarn. Lastly, I'm learning to crochet in the round with string with a fervent ambition to make these crochet motifs from Romantic Style...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bag looks good - I shall look forward to seeing it finished and photographed "a la knitty gritty" style in a couple of weeks.
carol

Anonymous said...

Oh you're so sweet! =) I love your sketches and those buttons are beautiful!