Sunday 11 November 2007

This weekend I made...

I made my curtains! This could have been one of those sewing projects that never, but no, I found my way to the fabric shop and we were on the road. They did not have the pink check I dreamt of, but instead I found this rather lovely blue/green/pink cotton check at a rather reasonable £4 a metre. 7 metres of the stuff I bought, 6.5metres after the initial wash and tumble dry, 3 metres per curtain, and 0.5metre for tabtops and tie backs.



After just 14 hours bent over my tiny singer sewing machine my glorious first ever proper sewing project was complete! The only person I actually know to have made their own curtains is my mum, and I duly rang her up feeling very proud of myself.

But truth to tell, this is the first time I have sewn something like this, and to a even vaguely careful eye there are many faults. Wavy sewing, bunched thread in hidden places, shortcuts and creases where I didn't bother to iron. I would be ashamed to give these curtains to anyone. They are not lined, they don't have curtain hooks or rings, there is no cord to move them. They are the very basic version of beginner curtains.


I love them with all my heart.

No comments: