Sunday, 14 February 2010
Friday, 12 February 2010
Also worth a look while you're over there, is the Women's History Timeline they've put together, it's a slideshow of photos with an audio commentary.
Monday, 8 February 2010
Alas, a modern Brownie will probably only do those things if she does her 'brownie traditions' or 'brownie skills' badges. When I was doing prep for the 'traditions' badge, I found out what a 9/10 year-old little girl had to be able to do to get her First Class badge, the highest achievement before 'getting her wings' - going up to Guides;
* have one shilling in a the Savings bank (£2.15 in today's money)
* make a milk pudding
* carry a message of 12 words in her head and deliver it correctly
* knit a pair of socks
* fold clothes for mangling and clean boots
* cut out and sew a union jack
I certainly can't do all of these! When I last saw her, my mum gave me all her old Guide badges, a significant gift.
Saturday, 6 February 2010
I'm absolutely thrilled to have been given an award! It seems so unlikely that my insubstantial, irregular little blog is worth of this, thank you thank you One More Stitch for the honour! If you haven't discovered One More Stitch, she has a fascinating blog that records her historical recreations, the most eagerly awaited of which is 'The Garment' ~ featured in the Aubrey~Maturin novels ~ and her research into the 18th century era. Truly edifying stuff
I must list 7 random facts about myself, and then nominate 7 more beautiful blogs for this award.
1. I really like cooking, and would love to do a 'come dine with me' style competition with my friends, because I am a little bit competitive
2. I'm eagerly awaiting 'The Hobbit' to hit the cinemas, I daresay I'll see it more than once
3. I love a windswept, lonely, unspoilt beach, it's my dream to live near one, one day
4. For christmas I was given 'Tea at the Ritz' to be used this year, and I'm quite nervous about looking stylish enough for the occasion, I'll be much more comfortable ambling around the NMM
5. I've broken my sewing machine, it's been a couple of months and I haven't got around to taking it to the repair shop yet
6. I long for a subscription to Selvedge magazine, and occasionally hunt for back-copies on ebay
7. I'm hosting a Norway-themed eurovision party this year, with gradvalax, and can't wait
And here are 7 utterly beautiful blogs, do pay them a visit ~
4. Yarny Days